I see this picture of a man eating a banana and reading sheet music, and it looks comical…
It reminds me of all the times I’ve found myself sitting with a good book and devouring the pages (while I nibbled on my meal). But, why this topic?
A friend (Mary Fairchild) recently shared a picture of two individuals, who were sitting in a restaurant and reading paperback books. Of course, we all comment that, “At least it’s not a cell phone” (and that’s a whole other discussion for this blog) AND “At least they aren’t fighting,” but I’m guessing there’s also a bit of controversy surrounding that image.
You’ve not seen the image, but I’m curious about what you think about it. So, please try to visual for a moment… or remember back to the last time you went out to eat (or you’ve eaten at home) with your husband, boyfriend, parents, kids, or anyone else… but spent the time reading a book.
Maybe, it’s something you’d never do.
Or, maybe, you have an understanding with your significant other. Perhaps you BOTH read while you eat. Or, you may enjoy to read while you’re together, like this couple (thanks to Liz Masoner for finding the image).
I have to admit… For me, the idea of reading is terribly romantic, but I know that not everyone feels that way. In fact, I’m sure I’ve annoyed many with my oft-distracted ways, when it comes to reading or writing.
So, here are my thoughts:
- I’ve been caught reading (or writing), when I should be paying better attention.
- Reading (while eating) is not for everyone, and probably causes indigestion and all sorts of other things.
- While it does make for a leisurely meal, that’s not always the best possible way to spend the time.
- Books may also be harmed in the process… (and ebooks/phones may be spilled on)
- Reading any text (whether it’s on a phone or book) is often rude and inconsiderate.
So, after all that, I want to say… If I’ve annoyed or offended you through my many years of reading and writing, I whole-heartedly apologize.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on the topic! Do you read while you eat? Or, is that on the list of banned activities at your breakfast, lunch or dinner table?